Multiple Upstream Servers Result in Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS)

mevans336 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Mar 6 22:07:39 UTC 2012

Cliff,

The application performs a redirect because that was the way it was
originally designed. It uses the ACEGI security framework. I have turned
the ACEGI HTTP -> HTTPS redirect off with the same behavior however.

After my post, I stumbled across the ip_hash upstream variable and that
has resolved the issue. Or at least, masked it and made things
functional.

I am aware that Nginx is talking to JBoss via HTTP, not HTTPS. Nginx is
acting as our front-end SSL termination point, we don't have JBoss
configured to answer SSL requests, although for security purposes, that
is on my 'to-do' list. Right now, clients don't communicate directly
with the JBoss servers, only Nginx, so communication over the internet
is encrypted.

I am confused by your statement, "It's not clear why you even bother
with the proxy_pass in this location. Just redirect to the HTTPS
location and be done." I am new to Nginx, so I followed the Nginx load
balancing example (http://wiki.nginx.org/LoadBalanceExample). Is there
an easier/better way to configure load balancing among multiple upstream
servers?

Thank you for your input,

Matt

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,223535,223539#msg-223539