Newbie Question: Sharing proxy_pass config between locations

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Mar 6 22:38:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 12:21:06AM +0200, Cabbar Duzayak wrote:

Hi there,

> Is it possible to define this proxy_pass & proxy_set_headers once, and
> share it between these locations? Or, do I need to keep doing this for
> all?

One option is to put some or all of the common configuration into an
external file, and "include" it in the appropriate location blocks.

Another option is to put all of the proxy_set_header lines directly in
server{}, outside of any location{} so that they will be inherited into
all of them. Then put the proxy_pass into the locations that matter.

Be aware of what happens if you want things slightly different in one
location{}, though -- if you wish to add an extra proxy_set_header,
the two options have different requirements.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org