Sending Traffic to another Server/Port/IP asynchronously

rishabh nginx-forum at
Mon Mar 19 10:08:46 UTC 2012

rishabh Wrote:
> Thanks, post_action works like a charm.
> Just one problem. Nothing is getting logged
> access_log if i use post_action ! whats the
> co-relation ?

That logging issue was a mistake. All the access_log directive need to
be in a single location/server block.

After a lot of testing. I found another issue.

The processing time of post_action is added to the response time. hence
delaying the response.

Here is how i have used post_action to log.

http {

server {

location / {
  proxy_pass http://upstream123;
  post_action @loglua;

location @loglua {
  set $log '';
  rewrite_by_lua_file /nginx/mylua.lua;
  logformat format1 '$log';
  access_log /var/log/nginx/newlog.log format1;