when front proxy meet reverse proxy

Guzmán Brasó guzman.braso at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 14:07:11 UTC 2012

Hi...

I saw the picture but don't see any problem for nginx there, your
problem in that picture seems to be that you want your backend to
access crossdomain server but your backend do not have internet acces.

If that's the case, and you don't need to support thousands of cross
domains, you can configure Nginx to be reverse proxy of cross domain
server and use it to access internet from your backend, so when the
backends want to access crossdomain, it does so through nginx and
nginx indeed have internet access.

One good thing of doing this is that if you are already parsing with
any tool your logs, you will have nice stats of your crossdomain
servers behaviors (eg: backend  generation time, etc)

Or maybe I got it all wrong, in that case, please discard this message :)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:16 AM, maven apache <apachemaven0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I am not good at English,so I make a picture in the attach,hope you
> can get it.
>

> 2012/3/28 Francis Daly <francis at daoine.org>
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 07:43:22PM +0800, maven apache wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I don't understand your intended data flow.
>>
>> Can you describe it more explicitly?
>>
>> In general terms, "something" makes a http request to nginx; that
>> "something" is "the client". nginx is configured to proxy_pass a request
>> related to the original one to a back-end server; that back-end server is
>> "upstream".
>>
>> client talks to nginx, and gets a response from nginx. The client doesn't
>> know or care about upstream.
>>
>> nginx talks to upstream and gets a response from upstream. nginx doesn't
>> know or care how upstream generates the response.
>>
>> If a web browser is configured to use a proxy server, then as far as nginx
>> is concerned, that proxy server is "the client", not the web browser.
>>
>> From your description, it sounds like "some javascript running in the
>> browser" is "the client".
>>
>> It's not clear (to me) what is "nginx" and what is "upstream".
>>
>> If you can explain more, it might help others to answer your question.

>> --
>> Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org

Guzmán Brasó Núñez
Senior Perl Developer / Sysadmin