nginx, echo module & lua

agentzh agentzh at gmail.com
Wed May 2 11:46:41 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Pierre <serarien at baqs.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to use both echo module & lua, but I'm having some issues:
>
> 1. I reach quickly "subrequests cycle". Looking @ the code, subrequests is
> unsigned:8,
> but I would need thousands of subrequests sometimes. putting subrequests to
> unsigned just
> results to crashes.

There's no way to support thousands of subrequests in a single main
request without patching the nginx core.

But you're encouraged to try out ngx_lua's cosocket API to avoid
subrequests altogether. And the cosocket stuff does not have such
limitations.

There's already several Lua drivers based on that, including
memcached, redis, mysql, http, and mongodb. For instance, the
lua-resty-redis library:

https://github.com/agentzh/lua-resty-redis

> 2. when in config: set_by_lua_file $varname luafile.lua , and luafile.lua
> references to ngx.ctx,
> I get the following error:
> (lua-error)...no request ctx found
> according to the doc, ngx.ctx is available in set_lua*, but does not work.
> Would anybody suggest
> me a workaround ?

This is indeed a bug. Thanks for reporting this!

I've just committed a patch for it:

https://github.com/chaoslawful/lua-nginx-module/commit/bee1cab

Could you try out the git master HEAD on your side?

Thanks!
-agentzh