TLS SNI support disabled

Jim Ohlstein jim at
Wed May 2 20:05:20 UTC 2012

On 5/2/12 3:54 PM, Cliff Wells wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 12:34 -0700, Justin Dorfman wrote:
>> I was rebuilding nginx on a staging server and noticed: TLS SNI
>> support disabled
>> # /usr/local/nginx/sbin/nginx -V
>> nginx version: nginx/1.0.15
>> built by gcc 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-48/CentOS 5.5 Final)
>> TLS SNI support disabled
>> Is that something I should be concerned about?

TLS/SNI support is  enabled if you build nginx "--with-http_ssl_module"
and if you have an recent enough version of OpenSSL on your system. I
don't think OpenSSL is recent enough on RHEL/CentOS 5.x but should be in

> Most likely not.  Great feature, not widely supported across browsers
> yet.

If you exclude Windoze XP and older, and older versions of MacOS, it is
fairly widely supported. I think the biggest problem is the still large
installed base of XP. (sorry for
the Wikipedia reference but it seems accurate as of this writing).