Best way to handle preprod server_names

Greg greg at 2lm.fr
Wed May 16 09:08:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm going to migrate a lots of vhosts from Squid+Apache2 to NginX, step
by step.
First step is to migrate just NginX and few static vhosts.

Actually there is ~600 domains x 5 vhosts + equivalent for preprod. So I
wrote a NginX vhost for ".mydomain1.com .mydomain2.com" and so on with
the 600 domains.

Question is, how the best practices to have this domains for our preprod
which looks like ".preprod.mydomain1.com" for each domains.

Preprod has specific config like gzip disabled (for internals purpose...).

Actually, prod's config looks like :
server {
     server_name .mydomain1.com; # main domain
     include                                 /etc/nginx/domains.conf;
     server_name_in_redirect                 off;
     include                                 common/prod.conf
}

And domains.conf :
server_name
.mydomain1.com
.mydomain2.com
;

Preprod could have this config :
server {
     server_name .preprod.mydomain1.com; # main domain
     include
/etc/nginx/preprod_domains.conf;
     server_name_in_redirect                 off;
     include                                 common/preprod.conf
}

Which means (600 x 5 x 2) vhosts...

Is there a better way ?

--