nginx 1.2: static file truncated with HTTP status code 200

Joshua Zhu zhuzhaoyuan at
Wed May 16 13:50:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM, mengqy <nginx-forum at> wrote:

> We've been running nginx 1.1.18, 1.1.19, 1.2.0, with both HTTP/HTTPS
> enabled. Our static files are loaded from nginx root, but since 1.1.18
> $request_time of static files some times gets 10+ seconds, recardless
> the actual file size. Various optimizing were tried with little gain,
> and the problem seems irrelavent to browsers as of access log. With
> 1.2.0 we just noticed that access log shows file truncating with HTTP
> status code 200.  Looking forward to your help, thank you.

Why do you think the file was truncated by Nginx? There're other reasons
which might cause $body_bytes_sent less than the real size of the file. For
instance, it can be true when the client closes the connection before
downloading the file completely.

Joshua Zhu
Senior Software Engineer
Server Platforms Team at Taobao