Nginx+HTTPS event stream issues

Daniel Gomes blink0 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 16:02:58 UTC 2012

Thanks mate, your module does seem pretty handy! I'm not sure it's what
I need though,let me explain:

Basically, what I have now (without using the push stream module) is a
PHP function that, *when called*, pretty much echos the contents of a
certain DB table (chosen via POST paramters) every 0,5 seconds. On the
client-side, there is javascript code that sets up an event source (with
HTML5's EventSource class) to this PHP script URL and shows the
information to the user, when the events arrive. Like I said in my
initial message, this works fine for HTTP, but the SSL buffering means
the events get bundled together and instead of waiting 0,5secs for an
event, I only see events after like 10 seconds (and then only the last
event's info is seen by the user).

 From what I can understand from your module, the publisher is something
that is always running, ie. always posting new stuff to *all clients*.
What I need, on the other hand, is an individual channel that is
different for *each different client* and each *different DB-information
to obtain* (ie. info from what table to post, the fields to return,
etc). Ignoring how setting up individual channels would be
time-consuming, what I think is the main problem here is that I would
have to (client-side) somehow call a PHP function (via XHR, I guess) to
initiate the proper channel with some parameters (DB table, etc) and
then go subscribe to it (on a different address). Now, this doesn't look
like a good set-up, does it? :/

In the mean time, I figured out how to disable SSL buffering (or change
its size), so I might just go with that*... Would still like to hear
your opinion, tho, since using a proper publisher-subscriber module
seems like a better idea!

*: for anyone with the same problem, its all in
src/event/ngx_event_openssl.h . The buffer size is in NGX_SSL_BUFSIZE
and if you want to disable it completely, change NGX_SSL_BUFFER to 0.

Cheers,

--
Daniel