cache manager process exited with fatal code 2 and cannot be respawned

Isaac Hailperin i.hailperin at heinlein-support.de
Thu Nov 8 15:13:12 UTC 2012

> These message have no relation to eventfd().
>
> A process with pid of 23636 is probably cache loader. Both cache manager and loader
> do not use configured worker_connection number since they do not process connections
> at all.  However, they need one connection slot to communicate with master process.
>
> 512 connections may be taken by listen directives if they use different addreses,
> or by resolvers if you defined a resolver in every virtual host.
> A quick workaround is to define just a single resovler at http level.
Hm, there were no resolvers defined in the virtual hosts. But I tried to
add
resolver 127.0.0.1;
to my https section, but that did not help.

Also, if resolvers would be the problem, it should also happen with
other nginx builds, like the one I tested on opensuse, see my reply
earlier today.

Here is my config, including one vhost:

user www-data;
worker_processes 16;
pid /var/run/nginx.pid;
worker_rlimit_nofile 65000;

events {
         use epoll;
         worker_connections 2000;
         # multi_accept on;
}

http {

         ##
         # Basic Settings
         ##

         sendfile on;
         tcp_nopush on;
         tcp_nodelay on;
         keepalive_timeout 65;
         types_hash_max_size 2048;
         # server_tokens off;

         # server_names_hash_bucket_size 64;
         # server_name_in_redirect off;

         include /etc/nginx/mime.types;
         default_type application/octet-stream;

         ##
         # Logging Settings
         ##

         access_log /var/log/nginx/access.log;
         error_log /var/log/nginx/error.log debug;
         #error_log /var/log/nginx/error.log;

         ##
         # Gzip Settings
         ##

         gzip on;
         gzip_disable "msie6";

         # gzip_vary on;
         # gzip_proxied any;
         # gzip_comp_level 6;
         # gzip_buffers 16 8k;
         # gzip_http_version 1.1;
         # gzip_types text/plain text/css application/json
application/x-javascript text/xml application/xml application/xml+rss
text/javascript;
      # Because we have a lot of server_names, we need to increase
         # server_names_hash_bucket_size
         # (http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/server_names.html)
         server_names_hash_max_size 32000;
         server_names_hash_bucket_size 1024;

         # raise default values for php
         client_max_body_size 20M;
         client_body_buffer_size 128k;

         ##
         # Virtual Host Configs
         ##
         include /etc/nginx/conf.d/*.conf;
         include /var/www3/acme_cache/load_balancer/upstream.conf;
         include /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/*;

         index index.html index.htm ;

         ##
         # Proxy Settings
         ##

         # include hostname in request to backend
         proxy_set_header Host $host;

         # only honor internal Caching policies
         proxy_ignore_headers X-Accel-Expires Expires Cache-Control;

         # hopefully fixes an issue with cache manager dying
         resolver 127.0.0.1;
}

Then in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/ there is eg
server
{
         server_name www.acme.eu acmeblabla.eu;
         listen 45100;
         ssl on;
         ssl_certificate /etc/nginx/ssl/acme_eu.crt;
         ssl_certificate_key /etc/nginx/ssl/acme_eu.key;
         access_log /var/log/www/m77/acmesystems_de/log/access.log;
         error_log /var/log/nginx/vhost_error.log;
         proxy_cache acme-cache;
         proxy_cache_key "$scheme$host$proxy_host$uri$is_args$args";
         proxy_cache_valid       200 302 60m;
         proxy_cache_valid       404             10m;

         location ~* \.(jpg|gif|png|css|js)
         {
                 try_files $uri @proxy;
         }