nginx auth_basic with proxy pass to tomcat

Tharanga Abeyseela tharanga.abeyseela at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 23:06:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

when the user enter http:///x.x.x.x/ - it will give forbidden message.
(i removed index.html to demo directory)

im giving the url to users as follows

http://x.x.x.x/demo/   - so this will ask for user/pass -   thats what
i wanted to do
after entering to above url - user will be landed to my index.html  -
it has all tomcat paths to connect (just hyper links)

x.x.x.x is the same  server - not a different server

i'm not redirecting to different server. everything is done on the same server.

i agree. the rewrite is complicated for a small authentication
handling. but other methods didn't work for me :)

thanks for your help and suggestions :)

cheers,
Tharanga

now issue is when the user enter http://x.x.x.x/next  it bypass the
nginx auth and going to tomcat path with out any authentication. may
be i need to configure that on web.xml. i prefer to configure nginx
auth for all tomcat and nginx paths. actually tomcat is the  front-end
server hadnles/redirects client request to appropriate server.