create a virtual-host (server block)

Francis Daly francis at
Thu Nov 8 23:36:04 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 12:19:09AM +0100, Olivier Morel wrote:

Hi there,

> I try to put a virtual host (server block) on my website, i have some issue.
> I have read the nginx tutorial for creat server block but after a lot of
> time i can't get my server block and i dont understand why.

What do you do; what do you see; what do you expect to see?

Be specific.

> Do you have something to configure on /etc/hosts or resolv.conf ?

When your client makes a http request of nginx, nginx must decide which
of your server{} blocks to use to process the request.

For your config, it looks like nginx does this purely based on the http
Host: header.

> *server {
>         listen          80;
>         server_name;# localhost;

If you do

  curl -H -i http://your-server-name-or-ip/

you should get content from here.

If resolves to your server ip, then that is the same as

  curl -i

and the same as using any browser to fetch it.

> *server {
>             listen 80 ;
>             server_name; #websvn.localhost

Same thing here:

  curl -H -i http://your-server-name-or-ip/

  curl -i

> when i m going to ** i have an error .

What error? I suggest using "curl" for testing, as above. It tends not
to hide the real error from you.

My guess is "unable to resolve the hostname".

> Could you help me please

If the problem is that your client can't resolve the hostname, you must
make your client be able to resolve the hostname.

Either put it in dns (so everyone who uses that dns service can see it);
or put it in the local "hosts" file that your browser uses (so that only
you can easily see it).

Good luck,

Francis Daly        francis at