nginx not showing client ip

Jonathan Matthews contact at
Fri Nov 9 15:22:41 UTC 2012

On 9 November 2012 13:11, piyushbj <nginx-forum at> wrote:
> Dear All,
> I have setup nginx reverse proxy with IIS webserver.
> Client ---> Nginx RP ---> IIS 7
> But i am unable to get client ip on IIS server's log. i am getting Ngnix
> server's ip.

That's because the nginx server *is* the one making the connection to
the IIS instance.

You need to teach your application about the X-Forwarded-For (X-F-F)
HTTP header, or tell IIS to log this header in place of the client IP.
Failing that, you could look at using something like
, but that's kind of overkill IMHO.

For all of these, you'll need to add the client's IP to the X-F-F
header in nginx. A bit of very simple googling should teach you how to
achieve this.

Jonathan Matthews // Oxford, London, UK