Need help on WebDAV + GIT server setup

Shu Hung (Koala) koalay at
Wed Nov 14 04:21:00 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I wish to install nginx as a WebDAV server to serve my GIT repos. But I

I've installed Nginx 1.2.5 to my server with both http_dav_module and
nginx-dav-ext-module <>.
Then I configure the server like this:

    server {
        listen       80;
        charset utf-8;

        dav_methods PUT DELETE MKCOL COPY MOVE;
        dav_ext_methods PROPFIND OPTIONS;

        # turn on auth_basic
        auth_basic           "Private area";
        auth_basic_user_file "/var/gitrepos/.htpasswd";
        create_full_put_path   on;
        dav_access             group:rw  all:r;

        location / {
            root   /var/gitrepos;
            index  index.html index.htm;
            autoindex on;

        location ~ /\.ht {
            deny  all;

The server start successfully.
And I've created some repo on the server side.

Then when I tried to push something to the server, git reports an error:
"error: no DAV locking support on"

And when I try to clone a repo that I created and pushed earlier on server,
I get this error:
"warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository"

I'm confused. Please give me some suggestion. Thanks!