client_max_body_size and 100 Continue/413 Request Entity Too Large

Joe Shaw joe at joeshaw.org
Fri Nov 16 20:58:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have a web app that accepts uploads from clients.  We have a relatively
high client_max_body_size set, and I'd like for clients to be able to be
quickly rejected if they intend to upload files larger than the max body
size.  The "Expect: 100-continue" header seems ideally suited for this.

However, when I try to upload a large file with curl (which uses the Expect
header), nginx responds with "100 Continue" instead of "413 Request Entity
Too Large":

> POST /test HTTP/1.1
> Expect: 100-continue

< HTTP/1.1 100 Continue