Random order of configuration file reading

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Nov 28 14:15:50 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 01:27:04PM +0100, Antonio P.P. Almeida wrote:

> > Hello!
>
> > I've already proposed removing GLOB_NOSORT to Igor a while ago.
> > His position on this is to keep this in sync with Windows version
> > where there is no sort guaranties.
> >
> > [...]
>
> Can't we just pass that as a config option so that the configure script
> detects the build environment and if were on *NIX the sorting is enabled?

The codepath in question is unix-only, the question is about user
experience which will be different on unix and win32 with
GLOB_NOSORT removed on unix.

Right now one can't rely on wildcard include ordering, and this is
consistent for all platforms supported.  And "listen ... default"
should be used to mark default server if one uses wildcard include
to include multiple server blocks listening on the same some
ip:port.  With the GLOB_NOSORT removed the behaviour will be
different on unix (included files will be sorted) and win32
(included files are not guaranteed to be sorted), which is
considered bad.

(I personally think that GLOB_NOSORT should be removed anyway.
I'll talk to Igor again about this.)

http://nginx.com/support.html