about error_page and named location

任晓磊 julyclyde at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 02:33:06 UTC 2012

For rejecting some unfriendly access, I use 410 status code for them. The
config is below:

error_page 410 /410;
if (xxx) {
 return 410;

location /410 {
 more_set_headers "Content-Type: text/html;charset=utf8;";
return 410 '$remote_addr 禁止访问云云';

When I access it for testing purpose, I got
<h1>410 Gone</h1>
is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this
resource.<hr/>Powered by Tengine

If I use error_page 410 @410; and location @410{...} , it works correctly,
and serves a page with my own message.

1st, What's the differences between norma location and named location, in
this context?
2nd, Are there better ways to serve a html page to unfriendly access, and
use nginx's variables in the html? I tried return 410 '$remote_addr
rejected' ,but it gave a application/octet-stream response, browser would
download it instead of display the message in browser window. So I have to
use more headers module to set Content-Type.
Ren Xiaolei