Post mortem of a HackerNews Launch & references to mistakes made with Nginx config

Cherian Thomas at
Fri Nov 30 15:32:00 UTC 2012

Hello family,

I wrote about some of the mistakes I made while doing a HN launch for my
new startup Cucumbertown <>

It has references to Nginx and how making a simple mistake in config cost
me a server crash that lasted for 20-30 minutes.

*Hope this will benefit some of the new Nginx users who are trying to scale.

On the positive side, if not for Nginx we wouldn’t have lasted 10 minutes
of peak traffic at 1000 users/sec+. Besides that, this blog is
hosted on a 128MB single core machine and has been serving
peak HackerNews
front page traffic for almost 17 hours now <>,
thanks to Nginx.

Thank you Igor, Maxim, Antonio, Velentin and all other for this software
- Cherian