504 Gateway Time-out media temple

samueleast nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Oct 2 13:44:36 UTC 2012

I am constantly getting 504 gateway errors when my php script needs to run
for longer than 60 secs.

I am on media temple on a dedicated server. I have contacted media temple
and they have been helpful but none of their suggesion seem to work for me i
was told to edit this file.

which i have to below

LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so

<IfModule mod_fcgid.c>

<IfModule !mod_fastcgi.c>
    AddHandler fcgid-script fcg fcgi fpl

  FcgidIPCDir /var/run/mod_fcgid/sock
  FcgidProcessTableFile /var/run/mod_fcgid/fcgid_shm
  FcgidIdleTimeout 300
  FcgidMaxRequestLen 1073741824
  FcgidProcessLifeTime 10000
  FcgidMaxProcesses 64
  FcgidMaxProcessesPerClass 15
  FcgidMinProcessesPerClass 0
  FcgidConnectTimeout 600
  FcgidIOTimeout 600
  FcgidInitialEnv RAILS_ENV production
  FcgidIdleScanInterval 600

so i have tried to max everything as much as i can, to test this i am just
running the function below.

function test504(){
        echo "true";
Sleep will work on any value below 60 seconds returning true but on 60 i get
504 gateway error.

my phpinfo(); outputs

max_execution_time 600
max_input_time 180
I have seen a few post on increasing this fastcgi_connect_timeout but have
no idea where to find this on media temple.

Can anyone help thanks

after chatting with support i have been told i need to edit nginx.conf ? and
was directed to this post

cant fine any of the values on my hosting. client_header_timeout
client_body_timeout send_timeout fastcgi_read_timeout

my nginx.conf file looks like this

#error_log  /var/log/nginx/error.log  info;

#pid        /var/run/nginx.pid;

events {
    worker_connections  1024;

http {
    include       mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;

    #log_format  main  '$remote_addr - $remote_user [$time_local] "$request"
    #                  '$status $body_bytes_sent "$http_referer" '
    #                  '"$http_user_agent" "$http_x_forwarded_for"';

    #access_log  /var/log/nginx/access.log  main;

    sendfile        on;
    #tcp_nopush     on;
    #keepalive_timeout  0;
    keepalive_timeout  120;
    #tcp_nodelay        on;

    #gzip  on;
    #gzip_disable "MSIE [1-6]\.(?!.*SV1)";

    server_tokens off;

    include /etc/nginx/conf.d/*.conf;
This is driving me crazy any suggestions ???

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,231318,231318#msg-231318