why two different responses?

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Fri Oct 26 08:12:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:03:57PM -0400, AJ Weber wrote:

Hi there,

> One of these requests is sent by my program.  One is sent by curl (it's
> easy to tell which).   They are identical as far as I can tell.

What is the full request sent in each case?

"curl -v" to show what it sends. Or "tcpdump" on the nginx server to
see what it receives.

> However, the curl request returns the expected result (204) from my
> servlet.  The program keeps getting this 302 returned with some generic
> "302 Found" html from nginx.

If you see different headers sent from your code and curl, perhaps try
adding or removing one at a time to see if there is one that matters.

> My eyes are blurry from staring at it.  Can anyone tell me why my test
> with curl works, but the program sending the same request does not???

Purely on the lines you have shown: does your code or config do anything
based on $http_user_agent or the equivalent?

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org