rewrite to www EXCEPT for one directory

eddy at eddy at
Thu Sep 6 22:51:35 UTC 2012

> On Friday 07 September 2012 00:32:48 eddy at wrote:

> And please do not use ugly rewrites instead of simple "return", where it's
> possible.
>  wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev

maybe it's a stupid question, but: if 'permanent - returns permanent
redirect with code 301' (, then
why one should use 'return 301 URL' instat?

or its more about to avoid rewriting rules generaly? if yes, why is this
so? a few weeks ago, i followed a discussion about to avoid if-rules
because of performance with large rule sets. but i can't see this argument
with one rewriting rule, which only takes action at first connect from
client to server.

it's just a little bit confusing for me 'cause of so many poorly writen
config examples around the web, and it's the first time i see this way
with 'return 301 URL' for redirecting to