Auto detect the number of CPU's and set worker_processes

Joshua Zhu zhuzhaoyuan at
Sun Sep 16 03:48:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 7:55 AM, justin <nginx-forum at> wrote:

> I am trying to get fancy and have `nginx.conf` auto-detect the number of
> CPU's on the server and then set `worker_processes` to that number. Here is
> what I have:
>     worker_processes $(cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "processor" | sort -u | wc
> -l);
> Unfortunately, that is throwing an error on nginx start. Is it even
> possible
> to run shell commands from inside nginx configuration files?

It's not supported in current nginx.

But you may try out tengine, which is a nginx distribution and has the
exact feature you want:
More features can be found at:

Joshua Zhu
Senior Software Engineer