Does fastcgi_cache depends on open_file_cache?

Joshua Zhu zhuzhaoyuan at
Sun Sep 16 11:56:42 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 7:17 AM, rahul286 <nginx-forum at> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I use Nginx on many sites and recently I thought to make use of
> fastcgi_cache to capture response of PHP-FPM.
> I want to put it in RAM (We have 32GB RAM. More than 50% of it is free)
> I am confused as some article suggests - declaring "open_file_cache" before
> we can make use of fastcgi_cache.

No. "open_file_cache"  is related to open file descriptors:
and "fastcgi_cache"
is only related to HTTP cache. They are two different things.

> Can't I directly use fastcgi_cache on /run/cache ?

Yes, you can.

Joshua Zhu
Senior Software Engineer
Server Platforms Team at Taobao