timeout error

Ryan Hatch ryan.hatch at alpinenetworking.com
Tue Sep 25 03:29:11 UTC 2012

I've looked through the docs and cant seem to nail down what I need to do in order to solve this problem.

When making a request to my nginx server, occasionally the request is for something that takes a long time (in this case I'm running a select statement that could take many, many hours).

How do I get nginx to not timeout after only 60 seconds?  Is there a way that I can set the timeout to an unlimited amount of time?  Would I do this in the nginx.conf file or in the sites-enabled/default file?

This is an example of the error I get when I'm trying to request a query that takes a long time:

2012/09/24 19:21:23 [error] 6996#0: *20639 upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 10.0.0.5, server: www.myhost.com,

Thanks in advance!

Ryan