SPDY + proxy cache static content failures

spdyg nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Apr 2 22:49:55 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

So perhaps I shouldn't have reused my existing topic and confused things,
sorry!

I only did so because the symptom is exactly the same as the issue I
originally reported (SOME static content served from proxy cache
occasionally doesn't make it to Firefox when using SPDY).  If you disable
either SPDY or the proxy cache the problem stops happening.

The originally reported problem stopped occurring after a fix was
implemented, but now I'm seeing it again since I put haproxy as the upstream
(to get enhanced health checks etc).

The difference this time is that I'm not seeing the 499 errors (or 444) in
the nginx log.  I'm not returning 444 (via config) in these scenarios
either.

Firefox shows this:

GET https://whatever/postrequest [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 45ms]
GET https://whatever/css1 [HTTP/1.1 304 OK 25ms]
GET https://whatever/css2 [HTTP/1.1 304 OK 260ms]
GET https://whatever/js1 [HTTP/1.1 304 OK 260ms]
GET https://whatever/js2 [HTTP/1.1 304 OK 35ms]
GET https://whatever/image1 [HTTP/1.1 304 OK 40ms]
GET https://whatever/image2 [HTTP/1.1 304 OK 40ms]
GET https://whatever/image3 [HTTP/1.1 304 OK 40ms]
GET https://whatever/image4 [HTTP/1.1 304 OK 40ms]
GET https://whatever/image5 [5ms]
GET https://google.com/analyticsjs [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 50ms]
GET https://whatever/image6 [0ms]
GET https://whatever/image7 [0ms]
GET https://whatever/image8 [0ms]
GET https://whatever/image9 [0ms]
GET https://whatever/image10 [0ms]

So you can see that around the time it loads the 5th image things go wrong
and the 5th onward images all have no content.  Firefox detail shows no
response headers/content for the 5th image onward.

The Haproxy and Nginx logs show 304 successfully for all of these requests,
so I guess the connection is dropped somewhere and Nginx isn't picking it up
and still thinks it worked fine.

Any suggestions on how to proceed further on this?  Happy to provide
specific details/logs via email if required.

Thanks,

spdyg

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,233497,238039#msg-238039