Nginx RP: a lot of rewrite rules

Davide D'Amico davide.damico at contactlab.com
Thu Apr 4 07:01:17 UTC 2013

Hi,
I've two freebsd 9.1 vm (2 corees, 4gb ram) with nginx-1.2.7 in
active/passive mode (using carp), acting as a reverse proxy to 4
apache22 backend (2 cores, 4gb ram).
I should set 800 simple rewrite rules, such as:

rewrite ^/something/foo.html /bar.html permanent;

I cannot use any regexp to optimize all these rules, I have no
scripting language enabled (the vhosts will serve only static pages, the
apache22 backend will use SSI too).

Here the question:

Is it better to use (in terms of performances, reliability, load on the
reverse proxy) the rewrite rules on the nginx reverse proxy, or use the
rewrite rules on the apache22 backend?

Thanks,
d.