Dropbox as upsream server

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Apr 11 11:05:25 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 04:15:02AM -0400, winniethepooh wrote:

> I'm trying to use the Dropbox public folder and my nginx server as a
> upstream server to server static files. I'm hoping someone can point me in
> the right direction or tell me what I'm doing wrong.
>
> So:
> my.domain.net/u/#########/*.bz2 serves from
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/#########/*.bz2 "twice" as much as
> my.domain.net/u/#########/*.bz2
>
> It seems when the server uses the x.x.x.x:80 it loops and hits the
> proxy_pass directive over and over resulting in a 500 error.
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>

> Here is what my configuration looks like:
> upstream backend {
>   server   x.x.x.x:80 weight=1 max_fails=2;
>   server   dl.dropbox.com:80 weight=2 max_fails=2;
> }

It's not clear why you added "x.x.x.x" to the upstream block if
it's not an upstream but the same server.  Obvious solution would
be to remove it.

If you try to implement "check the local disk, and if the file
isn't there - proxy to dropbox" logic, correct solution would be
to use something similar to an example provided at
http://nginx.org/r/error_page:

    location / {
        error_page 404 = @fallback;
    }