Cross-compiling Nginx for ARM?

Shohreh nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri Apr 12 17:22:14 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'd like to run Nginx on the SheevaPlug
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug), which is based on Marvell's
Kirkwood 88F6281 (ARM9E/ARMv5TE).

I have a couple of newbie questions:

1. The archives of the mailing list
(http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,227934,228360#msg-228360) include a
reference to those ports based on older versions:

http://packages.debian.org/search?arch=arm&keywords=nginx
Based on 1.2.1-2.2

http://nginx.org/packages/debian/pool/nginx/n/nginx/
Based on 1.2.8-1

Currently (www.nginx.org/en/CHANGES), the latest Nginx source is 1.3.15. Why
are those ports based on older code? Because it's not just a matter of
recompiling, but it also requires making changes to the source code so Nginx
can run on ARM?

2. I tried cross-compiling Nginx on a PC running Ubuntu with Marvell's
cross-compiler (www.plugcomputer.org/downloads/plug-basic/), but it fails
right from the start:

====================
~/nginx-1.2.6# ./configure
--with-cc=/root/LinuxHost/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/gcc

checking for OS
 + Linux 3.5.0-17-generic i686
checking for C compiler ... not found

./configure: error: C compiler
/root/LinuxHost/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/gcc is not found

~/nginx-1.2.6# ll /root/LinuxHost/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/gcc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 fred fred 180000 Feb 26  2008
/root/LinuxHost/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/gcc*

How should I set things up so that I can try cross-compiling Nginx?

Thanks for any help.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,238312,238312#msg-238312