Reg. automatic failover

Jonathan Matthews contact at jpluscplusm.com
Mon Apr 15 10:59:27 UTC 2013

On 9 April 2013 13:35, ESWAR RAO <eswar7028 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I observed that automatic failover behaviour is not working with my nginx
> server.

What you describe is exactly what I would expect. No HTTP-compliant
proxy would shunt an active connection, mid-request, over to another
backend once a TCP connection has been established, and any traffic
has been passed to it. The proxy has no way of knowing if the backend
has taken some non-idempotent action based on as much of the request
as managed to be communicated. Would you like it if your bank
re-dispatched "pay this bill" requests to multiple backends just
because one of them fell over? ;-)

What are your expectations here? Be clear!

Jonathan