Simple forward proxy

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sat Apr 27 09:19:04 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 04:19:05AM -0400, asmith wrote:

Hi there,

> I have nginx 1.3 on my ubuntu 10.04 and there are some websites running by
> it. I'd like to setup a forward proxy on a specific port so that I could use
> it on my browsers network options.

nginx is not a forward proxy.

It does do some of the same things that a forward http proxy does, so if
you have a controlled environment and are interested in experimenting
to see which parts of "being a http proxy" the current nginx code does
reliably, then your design choices and patches to make nginx become a
http proxy might be interesting if they don't affect its primary purpose.

But nginx does not handle the http CONNECT method, which is usually the
way clients expect proxying of https to be done.

> I've done this so far:

<snip>

> It works fine for http websites. but for all https websites, I get
> "connection was reset".

Logs should show you more details, if you care. But unless you're planning
on writing code to use yourself, you don't need to care.

> Any tweak for this?

Use a proxy server, not nginx.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org