nginx on Windows returns 504 Gateway Timeout when attempting to POST form using cURL via PHP

Ben Johnson ben at indietorrent.org
Mon Aug 5 22:32:51 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have a fairly simple PHP script that I have used in the past, under
Apache, to "simulate an HTTP form POST".

For some reason, when I attempt to do the same under nginx, the browser
hangs until some timeout is reached, at which point nginx returns a "504
Gateway Timeout" response to the browser.

This could very well be a PHP problem (or configuration issue) and have
nothing to do with nginx, in which case I am happy to take this
discussion to the appropriate list. But this does work as expected under
Apache, running PHP as a module.

If I enable verbose cURL output in PHP, all of the output is sent to the
instance of cmd.exe (the Windows console) in which PHP's "php-cgi.exe"
is running. This enables me to see that nginx is indeed handling the
request. Here is the output:

* About to connect() to ben-pc port 443 (#0)
*   Trying fe80::1ddc:6806:70b6:8546...
* Connection refused
*   Trying fe80::61f9:7669:a282:252d...
* Connection refused
*   Trying 169.254.37.45...
* connected
* Connected to ben-pc (169.254.37.45) port 443 (#0)
* SSL connection using DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
* Server certificate:
*        [redacted]
*        start date: 2013-07-05 18:17:36 GMT
*        expire date: 2014-07-05 18:17:36 GMT
*        [redacted]
*        SSL certificate verify result: self signed certificate (18),
continuing
 anyway.
* Server auth using Basic with user 'me'
> POST /myproject/trunk/public/jsapi/api-router/ HTTP/1.1
Authorization: Basic [redacted]
Host: ben-pc
Accept: */*

* upload completely sent off: 85 out of 85 bytes
< HTTP/1.1 504 Gateway Time-out
< Server: nginx/1.5.2