Cookie/Session Expired - OWA SSL Reverse Proxy

Jonathan Matthews contact at jpluscplusm.com
Wed Aug 14 17:35:02 UTC 2013

On 14 August 2013 18:20, spacecwoboy <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Trying to configure a reverse proxy to allow external access to an outlook
> web access server. I am able to route traffic through the NGINX to the OWA
> server, present the web page, and place the username & pw into the form.
> OWA rejects valid username/pwd's with a: "Your session has timed out...."
> error.
>
> Looking through my custom log files, somehow the session ID and the expired
> values are munged in the GET & POST process through the proxy.  There may be
> a simple fix that I'm not able to find.  Any suggestions will be
> appreciated!

I have a vague recollection that OWA uses a nasty form of
authentication which *requires* that each client's end-to-end
connection to the backend be long-lived, and only used by that one
client (as the auth is done in the first few packets and not
repeated). I don't know how you'd configure that in nginx.

I may be wrong about it, however. I've never tried Nginx in front of
OWA myself. This question comes up on the HAProxy list sometimes, and
it seems solvable by HAP users.

Jonathan