Sub-requests to an upstream server

jreich nginx-forum at
Tue Aug 20 15:43:20 UTC 2013

I am writing an nginx plugin and I am trying to send sub-requests to an
upstream server.
I am aware of the ngx_http_subrequest function but I didn't succeed to use
it in my case and I am not sure it is what I need.

In my use case, I have a structure in shared memory. This structure must
leave as long as some conditions are fulfilled based on several sequential
sub-requests to an upstream server. My first problem is that
ngx_http_subrequest must have a server request to work. I would prefer to
send a client request based on an internal event (in my case a timer event).
If this is not possible, I can use a server request to do that but in that
case I don't want to add sub-requests responses content to the response
body. Is this possible ? Do you have any advice ?