SV: Nginx as Reverse Proxy for Tomcat + SSL

Jens Rantil jens.rantil at
Thu Aug 22 11:52:07 UTC 2013

Hi Sajan,

I see. nginx supports serving https content. Documentation is here:

nginx also supports proxying to upstream servers that are using SSL/https:

What you'd like to do is possible.

Good luck,

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: nginx-bounces at [mailto:nginx-bounces at] För sajan tharayil
Skickat: den 21 augusti 2013 20:02
Till: nginx at
Ämne: Re: Nginx as Reverse Proxy for Tomcat + SSL

Hi Jens,

I will explain you my need. I need an end to en encryption for my client server communication.

Client ->nginx/haproxy    - https
nginx/haprody -> tomcat - https

So one way to do this is a layer 4 load balancing at nginx/haproxy layer.

But What I am trying to do is to do a layer 7 encryption itself. So the first ssl offloading will happen at the nginx/haproxy level. Then it will be again encrypted and send to the underlaying tomcat. Then tomcat will offload ssl again.

The reason for this is, I am creating my stack in amazon and we do not want any kind of plane communication happening in amazon network.

So I am not really sure about the configuration which I can do on nginx
which will do the following:

1. Off load the ssl for the requests coming from client (users) - This
configuration is simple enough
2. encrypt the communication again and send to underlaying tomcats

Can I have an SSL from Client to Nginx and another between Nginx and

so it will be like
Kind Regards

Posted via

nginx mailing list