How to serve PHP files outside the public folder?

etrader nginx-forum at
Sun Aug 25 07:14:55 UTC 2013

For serving the PHP scripts, I use this location

location ~ \.php$ {
fastcgi_index  index.php;
fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME  $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;

now I want to keep a folder outside the public folder to be served as a

location /private/ {
/* serving static files from /private/$server_name/ */
location ~ \.php$ {
/* serving PHP scripts from /private/$server_name/ */

How should set this location to serve the files from outside the public