nginx fastcgi_pass and Browser long transfer time

Woltz, KG (GSFC-703.0)[ASRC PRIMUS SOLUTIONS] kg.woltz at
Wed Dec 4 21:26:04 UTC 2013

I'm new to nginx but not to web development.
I have the server configured to do almost everything I need ... including fastcgi_pass for Perl on Solaris.
When requesting any cgi page the browser displays the standard status's "Read servername", "Waiting for servername" and "Transferring data from servername".
I have two things that I need to fix.
Problem 1: The "transferring data..." step takes 1-2 min no matter the size of the content, even hello world.
Problem 2:  Any little issue and the fastcgi server socket pids go <defunct>