why the change in links on the wiki?

David Birdsong david.birdsong at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 22:58:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 01:04:17PM -0800, David Birdsong wrote:
>
> > I noticed this a few months back. Why do the links on wiki.nginx.orglink
> > nginx.org/en/docs/ instead of to wiki.nginx.org?
> >
> > For example: the http core module doc link on
> > http://wiki.nginx.org/Modulespoints ->
> > http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html instead of:
> > http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpCoreModule
> >
> > I kind of hate this. I find the wiki version of the module docs much more
> > readable.
> >
> > Why the change?
>
> Wiki pages for standard modules were created as an English
> translation of Russian docs long time ago, when there were no
> official English docs.  Since then, official English became
> available.
>
> In past years we've faced multiple cases of old/incorrect/missing
> descriptions on wiki confusing people, so these pages were
> deprecated and links were changed to official docs instead.
> Moreover, changing pages to do redirects instead was recenly
> discussed.  Supporing multiple versions of the documentation isn't
> something we want to spent time on, and bit rot on these pages on
> wiki can't be just ignored.
>
> What exactly do you find "much more readable"?  Wording?  Design?
> May be it's something that can be improved in the documentation?

I won't claim to have any design chops, but as a reader, I prefer the wiki
style and find that I can get information faster. I do a lot of nginx
'coding', so a large part of my life is spent referring to the docs--speed
of navigation helps me a ton.

- the index layout is easier to scan, possibly because of the colors and
right-justify?
- section headers seem absent on the standard docs
- the syntax highlighting on the wiki makes it easy to spot examples

I jump around to different modules frequently and so the icon-based
navigation makes it easy for me to land my mouse on the modules or addons
icon. I would have smudged the colors off of those icons with how
frequently I'm press on them if these pages were physical.

For me it's just a simple case of one being superior to the other. If
nobody else cares, I'll shut up and deal with it.