Too Many Redirects

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sat Feb 2 09:29:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 07:27:31PM -0500, billmanhillman wrote:

Hi there,

> I created another HTTP/1.1 connector in tomcat listening on another port
> 8443. I then separated the server settings in nginx for both http and
> https.
>
> I had the http server def proxy_pass to http://localhost:8080
> I had the https server def proxy_pass to http://localhost:8443
>
> I also put headers notifying tomcat the request was coming from http or
> https.

You changed the nginx config so that tomcat could be able to tell whether
the original request was https or not.

Did you change the tomcat config so that it would recognise this signal,
and would accept that "originally https" was enough to consider it
as secure?

> Still no dice. Redirect loops can't seem to be fixed.

It looks to me like the redirect loops are coming from tomcat, not nginx.

If you can't configure tomcat the way you want to, perhaps configuring
nginx to proxy_pass to a https:// url when appropriate would be an
adequate workaround, at least for testing purposes?

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org