Features

Cristian Rusu crirus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 06:58:45 UTC 2013

Hello

I added some features to version  1.2.3, but since nginx moves forward, I'd
like to see if there's a way to put those as permanent patch

The features refers to limit_rate_after directive and a new one
limit_rate_max, both used to control bandwidth.

I changed limit_rate_after to take a variable as well, not just config.
I also added limit_rate_max to control the speed of the initial bytes sent
that are defined with limit_rate_after.

So basically right now I can send 2MB at a speed of 600KB and then slow
down at 100KB.

This is extremely useful for video streaming websites with huge traffic, I
save a lot of bandwidth and get able to serve many more users at the same
time.

My config looks something like:

limit_rate_max 600k;
if ($arg_u) {
    set $limit_rate_max $arg_u;
}

limit_rate_after 2m;
if ($arg_burst) {
    set $limit_rate_after $arg_burst;
}

Here I can tell through the url what speed and when to slowdown, based on
user account, so premium users receive the video and start playback faster.
Is anyone interested to push this changes/features to nginx dev team?

Cristian Rusu
Web Developement & Electronic Publishing

======
Crilance.com
Crilance.blogspot.com