How to cap server load?

KT Walrus kevin at my.walr.us
Sat Jan 5 18:32:17 UTC 2013

Good idea of measuring actual response time, but I'm just looking to for a more crude limit of setting a maximum number of concurrent requests for the localhost server before requests are "bounced" to another backend.

But, do you know how to do the "response time" limit within NGINX?  Or, do I need to do this test with scripts outside NGINX and have all load balancers that send requests to this backend do health checks (again outside NGINX) and edit configuration file and reload NGINX?

If so, I might as well put HAProxy in front of NGINX which can do what I want.

I was looking for a simple way within NGINX to see how many concurrent requests there are for the localhost backend.

Just exploring my options...

Kevin