Two questions/feature requests based on first-time setup experience

Vaibhav Mallya vaibhavmallya at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 06:16:37 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I just got nginx/uwsgi up and running on Ubuntu Server 12.04. It works
great without a great deal of configuration (which is awesome), but
and I did have two questions/comments:

1) AFAIK, /etc/init.d/nginx start|reload|stop|etc is expected to be
the "right" way to start the server on Ubuntu, but out of the box, it
doesn't let you pass in arguments. In my particular case, I wanted to
do something like

/etc/init.d/nginx start -c /path/to/my/special/file.conf

You could imagine wanting to do similar things for -p and -g. Ergo, it
would be really nice if nginx supported argument-passing to to its
init.d script.

2)  Specifying default error log at runtime - nginx now logs to
var/log/nginx/error.log as the "default" logging location. It would be
nice if a default could be specified instead of this, e.g.

nginx --default-error-log ~/custom-error-location/my-
error-log.log

In my particular case, I'm trying to detach
nginx as much as possible from the global context and isolate
everything within my local context only (project folder). If there's
already a way to
what I specified above, let me know, and let me know if you have any
input or questions, etc.

Thanks all!
Vaibhav Mallya
@mallyvai