Two questions/feature requests based on first-time setup experience

Vaibhav Mallya vaibhavmallya at
Thu Jan 10 06:16:37 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I just got nginx/uwsgi up and running on Ubuntu Server 12.04. It works
great without a great deal of configuration (which is awesome), but
and I did have two questions/comments:

1) AFAIK, /etc/init.d/nginx start|reload|stop|etc is expected to be
the "right" way to start the server on Ubuntu, but out of the box, it
doesn't let you pass in arguments. In my particular case, I wanted to
do something like

/etc/init.d/nginx start -c /path/to/my/special/file.conf

You could imagine wanting to do similar things for -p and -g. Ergo, it
would be really nice if nginx supported argument-passing to to its
init.d script.

2)  Specifying default error log at runtime - nginx now logs to
var/log/nginx/error.log as the "default" logging location. It would be
nice if a default could be specified instead of this, e.g.

nginx --default-error-log ~/custom-error-location/my-

In my particular case, I'm trying to detach
nginx as much as possible from the global context and isolate
everything within my local context only (project folder). If there's
already a way to
what I specified above, let me know, and let me know if you have any
input or questions, etc.

Thanks all!
Vaibhav Mallya