Perceived poor performance

Steve Holdoway steve at greengecko.co.nz
Sun Jan 13 06:28:31 UTC 2013

On 13/01/13 19:17, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> On 1/12/2013 9:52 PM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>> I don't know if this actually IS poor performance - it just feels
>> like it.
>>
>> I'm running nginx and php-fpm on a VirtualBox virtual server. No
>> other services are running (other than the standard Ubuntu Precise
>> minor items for a server).  The VM has four cores and 1G allocated.
>>
>> Any time I connect to my server it seems to take 3 seconds before the
>> request is processed.  I've seen some references via Google that
>> indicate this is TCP related - but I don't know where to look to find
>> the break.
> Further tests show me it isn't for all requests - only requests to my
> Wordpress sites, which have a much more complex nginx configuration
> that other sites which give me instantaneous response.  What
> (improper) commands would have such a major slowdown effect?
a wp config isn't particularly complex.

What database tuning have you done (are the fast ones also using a
database)? yes I know it's remote, but...
What memory are you allocating to the server?
How busy is the physical server?
Are you running a local DNS server?

Sorry I'm not versed in VB, but I run plenty of WP sites off KVM servers.