Perceived poor performance

Patrick Lists nginx-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 13 07:17:23 UTC 2013

On 01/13/2013 07:17 AM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
[snip]
> Further tests show me it isn't for all requests - only requests to my
> Wordpress sites, which have a much more complex nginx configuration that
> other sites which give me instantaneous response.  What (improper)
> commands would have such a major slowdown effect?

For my Wordpress site I installed nginx-helper in Wordpress:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/nginx-helper/

And added the cache config inspired by these 2 pages:
http://rtcamp.com/tutorials/nginx-wordpress-fastcgi_cache-with-conditional-purging/
http://codex.wordpress.org/Nginx

And the Wordpress site became much faster. You do need to build nginx
with the ngx_cache_purge module from:
https://github.com/FRiCKLE/ngx_cache_purge

Wordpress multi-site info here:
http://rtcamp.com/tutorials/wordpress-multisite-subdirectory-subdomain-domain-mapping-overview/
http://rtcamp.com/tutorials/nginx-wordpress-multisite-subdirectories-fastcgi_cache-with-conditional-purging/

Check the source of the generated pages. It shows some info how long it
took to generate the page.

You may also want to look at your DB and optimize where possible.

Regards,
Patrick