Is there any other way to trigger log reopen beside kill -USR1?

Andre Jaenisch andrejaenisch at
Thu Jan 24 13:00:10 UTC 2013

2013/1/24 Liu Haifeng <haifeng.813 at>:
> My goal is make the "current" log file renamed with the date pattern immediately, not after one day or other period.

My first thought would be creating a symbolic (see "man ln") from the
current log to the log-with-date-within-filename.
You would just have to change the symlink then … For example like
So let access.log point to access.$(date "+%Y%m%d").log (see ).

But I have no nginx running here at the moment.