Is there any other way to trigger log reopen beside kill -USR1?

Jan-Philip Gehrcke jgehrcke at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 24 14:55:43 UTC 2013

Maybe I did not read carefully enough, but instead of relying on the
$(date "+%Y%m%d") in the exact moment of renaming the file, you could
use the last modification time of the file via. e.g.

$ stat -c %y ~/.bashrc | awk '{print $1}'
2012-12-18

On a busy web server this should almost always correspond to the day
when -- in your words -- the trigger was triggered :)

HTH,

Jan-Philip