Debugging FastCGI caching

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sun Jan 27 12:32:11 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 07:12:59AM -0500, Daniel15 wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm trying to use Nginx FastCGI caching to cache my site's home page and
> blog home page. However, caching doesn't seem to be working on these pages,
> and $upstream_cache_status always seems to be "MISS".
>
> Site URL: http://dan.cx/

$ curl -i -I http://dan.cx/
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Cache-Control: private

I don't see anything in your config which adds that header, so presumably
it is coming from upstream.

See http://nginx.org/r/fastcgi_cache_valid and
http://nginx.org/r/fastcgi_ignore_headers.

> What is the best way to debug this issue?

Examine the traffic between each client/server pair (in this case nginx
and the fasctcgi server). Then protocol-specific knowledge might reveal
the problem.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org