Disable open_file_cache for a specific location

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Jul 2 21:43:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 05:24:15PM -0400, Peleke wrote:

Hi there,

> I have set the open_file_cache variable to max=5000  inactive=20s so that it
> is enabled globally but now I want to disable all caching for a specific
> virtual location on a domain:

http://nginx.org/r/open_file_cache describes what open_file_cache does.

That description doesn't seem to match what you seem to indicate you
think it does.

> - open_file_cache max=5000  inactive=20s;
> --     location ^~ /gallery {
>         open_file_cache off;
>     }
>
> Sadly that rule doesn't work because /gallery doesn't exist as a real
> folder.

Why do you think that it doesn't work?

What test do you do; what result do you see; and what result do you
expect to see?

> It is only a permalink (/%category%/%postname%/) from WordPress. All
> subpages (like www.domain.tld/gallery/flickr) should have no cache enabled
> because the plugin for those galleries doesn't work with caching.

nginx tends not to cache unless you configure it to.

Why do you think nginx is caching something that you do not want it to?

> How can I solve the problem?

I suspect that describing the problem in terms of specific things that
can be observed or tested will be a good start.

Right now, I'm not sure what problem you are reporting.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org