Disable access log escaping

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Jul 3 22:33:11 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 10:54:15PM +0300, Calin Don wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm using a module which sets some data formated as json to a variable. I'm
> trying to log this variable using the access log, but the content is
> escaped. I'm getting something like {\x22foo\x22:\x22bar\x22} instead of
> {'foo':'bar'}.

\x22 should correspond to ".
' would correspond to \x27, but I don't think that is escaped (I didn't
look at the newest source).

Anyway...

> Is there a way to disable the escaping per access_log or per log_format?

I don't believe so (using only nginx configuration). It will probably be
easier for your log-reading code to unescape the four characters starting
"\x" before further processing.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org