Strange log file behavior

Grant emailgrant at
Thu Jul 18 12:48:34 UTC 2013

>> I noticed that most of my rotated nginx log files are empty (0 bytes).
>> My only access_log directive is in nginx.conf:
>> access_log /var/log/nginx/localhost.access_log combined;
>> Also nginx is currently logging to
>> /var/log/nginx/localhost.access_log.1 instead of localhost.access_log.
>> Does anyone know why these things are happening?
> This usually happens if someone don't ask nginx to reopen log
> files after a rotation.  See here for details:

I tried issuing kill -USR1 `cat /run/` manually but
nginx-1.4.1 still logged to the old file.  I got the following in

signal 10 (SIGUSR1) received, reopening logs
reopening logs

It does start logging to the new file if I restart nginx afterward.  I
also noticed this in error_log from when logrotate executes:

open() "/var/log/nginx/error_log" failed (13: Permission denied)
open() "/var/log/nginx/localhost.access_log" failed (13: Permission denied)
open() "/var/log/nginx/localhost.error_log" failed (13: Permission denied)

Is something happening out of order?

- Grant