How to make the log file printed by access_log split

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Jul 25 09:29:13 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 04:52:38AM -0400, shawnxzhou wrote:

> what's the limit of the size of log file, and what will happen when it
> reaches the limitation?
> if I want to split the log file by timeline, say start a new file on the
> beginning of an hour, how can I configure ngnix?

This isn't something nginx is expected to do.  Instead, this is
what your favorite log rotation program does, and then uses USR1
signal to instruct nginx to reopen log files, see [1].  Consult
your OS documentation for more details, usually "man newsyslog" or
"man logrotate" helps.

[1] http://nginx.org/en/docs/control.html#logs

http://nginx.org/en/donation.html